Re: Coltrane poster?

From: Philip Gelb (phil@philipgelb.com)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 20:35:02 PDT

>I haven't seen that poster, but I have seen an icon portraying John
>as a saint. It seems that a group of African, Eastern Orthodox
>Christians have deified Mr. Coltrane. The icon shows him in full
>splendor along with his tenor horn. It is a real show stopper. Any
>corrections to this impression are welcome. The original is in
>California somewhere. Many years ago a university radio station show
>did a multi week segment on Coltrane entitled "A force for good".

That was on the walls of the former Church of John Coltrane that was
on divisadero street in Sanfrancisco for many years till some dot com
company bought the building and evicted them. Not sure what became of
the mural.

As much as i love Trane and his music, and see him as a role model,
that church gave me the creeps. :)

phil

--
Philip Gelb