Re: Coltrane poster?

From: Ralf Muhlberger (ralf@muhlberger.com)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 21:59:31 PDT

> .. Thanks Ralf for the great photo of John Coltrane playing the
> shakuhachi!
> Also I've been enjoying this dialogue concerning Yusuf Lateef and world
> music influences on shakuhachi and sax players...will have to check out
> those Watazumi Do riffs in Coltrane's music.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan Ribble
> Kochi, Japan

I went to a one hour concert this weekend by a local recorder player
and classical guitarist, who played a number of predominantly Japanese
modern pieces, some for recorder, one adapted from flute. None were
adapted from Shakuhachi, apparently, but they were very clearly
influenced very strongly. I didn't get a list of the composers or
pieces unfortunately, although I did have a chat with the recorder
player afterwards (Barnaby Ralph). I may follow up to find out more.
It was very bizarre to watch and hear these very distinctively shak
type sounds being played very clearly on a recorder. Oh, and the
classical guitar often sounded strongly like a koto.

Does anyone on this list know of this sort of music? Apparently,
according to Barnaby, there was a big movement in the 60s by
Japanese composers to write modern but traditionally influenced
pieces for non-traditional instruments. Any pointers?

Thanks,

Ralf

PS The opening piece was on a bass recorder, probably about a 2.4
in length. It looked like a table leg :-D The mouth piece was not
like a traditional recorder, nor like a shak. It was just flat on
top with a little slit. R.