Re: kashu (substitute for urushi)

From: Tom (tom-tom@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 03:11:27 PDT

Alfred Newman and everyone else, perhaps the English name for kashu is
actually kashu. What do you mean by "a synthetic substitute for urushi"?
You will not get the same sort of rash from kashu that you will get from
urushi, if you get a rash at all from kashu. Some people do. Evidently, as
the name indicates, it is made from some part of the the cashew nut. Still
curious, Alfred, as to what you mean by synthetic...? I've used it on
floors and furniture but have never gotten a rash from it or from urushi.
Curious. Perhaps I just tough skin.

Tom Deaver

Bei Shu Shakuhachi Workshop
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/