Henry Cowell piece

From: Phil James (sparklingbeatnik@msn.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 11:52:08 PDT

Well, because I opened my big e-mouth I have been inundated with requests
for the score of Cowell's "Universal Flute." Rather than sending out lots of
printed copies, I have decided to make it available online temporarily --
you can get it as http://www.sparklingbeatnik.com/phil/temp/cowell-p1.jpg
and http://www.sparklingbeatnik.com/phil/temp/cowell-p2.jpg (it's two pages
long). Please do not duplicate this other than for your own use -- it's my
own transcription (with some minor notational corrections) from a photocopy
of Cowell's original manuscript that was sent to me by flutist Rachel
Rudich, who had gotten it from Cowell's widow. I believe there are other
photocopies of the original floating around, as it has been performed in the
past by Ralph Samuelson, and Riley Lee is also familiar with the piece. As
far as I know the version that I'm offering here is the only printed
version, the only version not in Cowell's handwriting. I do NOT have any
publishing agreement with Cowell's estate, which is why I emphasize that
this is exclusively for your own use. I will be removing the files in a week
or two.

The piece has been recorded by Rachel Rudich on an album aptly entitled "The
Universal Flute." Rachel is quite good, except she plays it on one of those
weird flutes made of metal instead of bamboo. Go figure.

Had I included the piece on my CD, the program notes would have read:

"This 1940 compostition marks the dawn of Western music
for shakuhachi. The story goes that a man named K. Tamada ran a roadside
fruit stand in Cowell's neighborhood, and Cowell was delighted to learn that
Tamada played shakuhachi. He began studying the instrument himself, hence
his surprisingly idiomatic style in "The Universal Flute," which is
dedicated to Tamada. Cowell also organized concerts by local Japanese
American performers, many of whom would undoubtedly be interred due to the
racist US policy of the ensuing war years. Just days before Pearl Harbor
Cowell recorded Tamada playing shakuhachi -- the tape is available in a
special Cowell collection at the New York Public Library."

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce that my own new solo
shak CD, First Places, is out as of today. It's mainly original compositions
plus two traditional honkyoku. You can check it out at
http://www.sparklingbeatnik.com

Best wishes,
Phil.