Re: Henry Cowell piece

From: Philip Gelb (phil@philipgelb.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 12:36:31 PDT

>"This 1940 compostition marks the dawn of Western music
>for shakuhachi. The story goes that a man named K. Tamada ran a
>roadside fruit stand in Cowell's neighborhood, and Cowell was
>delighted to learn that Tamada played shakuhachi.

interesting! I heard that he first came across the shakuhachi while
he was in jail out here in the bay area.
There is a really incredible photo that i once saw of Cowell playing
shakuhachi on a stoop in New York City with Edgard Varese sitting
next to him with a most unusual expression.
One of my all time fave shakuhachi photos, along with the recently
revealed Coltrane picture that was floating around this list recently.

Thank you Phil James for posting the score to the Cowell piece!!!

phil
http://www.philipgelb.com