Re: Studying in Japan

From: gale barchus (gbarchus@shudo-u.ac.jp)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 19:27:05 PST

Stav,

I'm an American who came to Japan to teach English. I begin studying
shakuhachi about 6 months ago. The lessons are not expensive, less
than $100 a month. But, I'm sure that can vary. My teacher studied
under Yokoyama Katsuya and speaks enough English. After all, the love
of the instrument and music communicates a lot. Living in Japan, I
was able to see (and try) many shakuhachi and was fortunate to buy a
beautiful (looking and sounding) one from John Neptune.

Gale