12/7 Portland OR- Joel Taylor&Friends at Jasmine Tree

From: joel taylor (joeltaylor@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 15:25:43 PST

Dear Shakuhachi List, and all of you who are friends of mine in Portland,

I'm going to be playing shakuhachi, suling, analog synth and laptop
at the Jasmine Tree on Saturday Dec 7th, with electric guitarist Doug
Theriault, bass clarinettist Jonathan Sielaff, and percussionist Toby
Manthey.
We will be doing electroacoustic improvisations, and my laptop will
be doing extensive processing of the acoustic instruments, as well as
doing it's own thing in response to analysis of our playing. For
those of you with an interest in the microtonal world, the pitch
system the electronics will use refers everything to Harry Partch's
43tone/octave tuning system. So much for the technical description!
The musicians can be counted on to do everything we can to make the
music itself lovely, complex, evocative, and powerful.

We are the 2nd act of 3. Doors open at 9pm, so I'm guessing that we
will be on around 10pm.

Here's some more about the other acts, extracted from the press announcement.
The opening act is: Apartment, with The Kittens of Mass Destruction.
Apartment uses a combination of rock instrumentation and low-fi
electronics to produce "these stuttering, chugging sounds....which
turned out to be some of the most difficult to define music i've
heard this year."
The Kittens are an experimental dance/performance theatre troupe.
How can you not like that description, eh?

The closing/headline act is: Seth Nehil, an electronic musician who
has "pursued an interest in the sensual surface of found objects and
materials, and the inner dynamics of their acoustical properties."
Nehil is known for his collaborations with Olivia Block, John
Grzinich, Michael Northam and Alial Straa.

Altogether, it should be an interesting and eclectic evening, worth
several times the pitiful cost of admission, $3.

SETH NEHIL, SUBMARINE FLEET; THE JOEL TAYLOR/DOUG THERIAULT/JONATHAN
SIELAFF TRIO w/ guest TOBIAS MANTHEY,
and APARTMENT w/ THE KITTENS OF MASS DESTRUCTION; Saturday,
December 7, 9:00 PM; The Jasmine Tree, SW 4th and Harrison; $3
cover; 21 & Over

Hope to see a few of you fine people there,

Joel

ps.
I hope the shakuhachi list can bear with my lengthy annoucements. To
all of you other folks, if you want to be excluded from future
concert announcements, just let me know and off the list you'll come.

--
Joel G. Taylor

joeltaylor@attbi.com

http://www.ir-music.org/wavelet/ http://www.arts.rpi.edu/nyquist/ ____________________________________________________