Washing off urushi?

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 19:19:05 PST

I am extremely sensitive to urushi. I have had to wait up to a
year before I can play a new instrument without my chin feeling
burned.

I know that if I wash the instrument right before I play it, and
wash my hands and face immediately afterwards, I don't break out if
I limit my playing to about 3 to 5 minutes.

I recently got two shakuhachi back from Japan, where they were
repaired and urushi was used in the repair. I understand that the
oils in the sumac are what cause the reaction, so I'm wondering if
I can accelerate the curing of these flutes by washing the repaired
bore and the bindings with something to remove the surface oil.

If so, what could I wash the shak with to be most effective? I use
dish detergent if I'm going to play right away, but know from
experience that the effect only lasts a short while.

Any similar experiences or possible solutions (pun intended)?

thanks,

bj

-