Re: Washing off urushi?

From: Pedro L Vera (pvera@hsc.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 18:21:05 PST

Bruce Jones wrote:

> I think I missed something here. I agree, from sad experience, that
> the more often I am exposed to urushi (and the posion oak down in the
> local canyons), the more violent the reaction.
>
> So, who's "bodies" are getting stronger? The little bugs that make
> me break out like a 6 year old with the measles?

In an allergic reaction, the first contact with the offending
substance (allergen) causes the formation of large amount of
antibodies. However, there is no "allergic" reaction per se, just a
local reaction, for example as in a bee sting. It hurts at the site of
the sting, but that's about it. The antibodies do come into play where
is a second and subsequent exposures to the antigens. Then you will
have a local reaction and an allergic response, involving perhaps
hives, and in extreme cases, anaphylactic shock (like in bee or wasp
stings).

The more a person is exposed to a specific allergen, the more
antibodies that are produced and a greater the chance that the
allergic reaction will become more pronounced, possibly even leading
to anaphylactic shock. Most of the times, it does not get to be that
bad, but it can happen. In addition, once a person becomes to a
specific allergen, he or she might be more prone to develop an allergy
to a related substance.

> Or should my body be getting stronger (read, "more able to resist
> the infection") and I'm doing something wrong?

It's not an infection. If it's an allergic reaction, then it's just
the body's attempt to rid itself of a substance it considers foreign.
Your body is getting more able to resist the attack by producing
defenses (antibodies) to the substance. The problem is that the
defenses also have other consequences, like the hives or sneezing or
watery eyes in the case of airborne allergens like ragweed.

> BTW: I'm investigating homeopathy as a way of possible building up
> some immunity to the problem. I'll keep the list posted.

Avoidance is the first line of defence. Medication, like
antihistamines, works well for mild cases (like pollen allergies). If
the allergic reaction becomes severe enough, one may consult an
allergist, who might suggest immunotherapy. In essence, forcing your
system to make less of the antibodies that are causing the problem and
more of a different kind that block the other antibodies.

I hope this helps,

Pedro L. Vera