root flute storage

From: Kieran Shannon (1seeker@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 18:26:26 PST

Greetings all,

I am a student of the traditional Kinko ryu discipline and just discovered
this wonderful forum! While reading through old postings for the past few
nights, I must say it's reassuring to know others are going through the same
"growing pains" as myself in their shakuhachi journeys!
It's nice to have a place to vent to others who know what it's like.

If I may ask a question regarding root end shakuhachi care. I recently got
my first root end flute. It is beautiful and plays well. Up to this point I
have used a one piece straight end flute so have no idea how to care for it!
After daily playing should I take it apart or leave it as one piece? Should
I only take it apart for long periods of storage? I have heard of a grease
used to lubricate the joint. Is this necessary? I welcome any suggestions.
Thanks folks and I'm glad to have found you!

In peace,

Kieran