re: PVC second octave

From: eitan@palm.com
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 15:01:12 PST

I have built dozens of 1.8 PVC flutes, even for sale, and some 1.6s and 2.1s. Mine play consistently all the way up until well into the third octave. As has already mentioned somewhere else, experience tells me that the blowing edge is not so critical. In fact, some people can play the pipe without a mouthpiece at all. Of course, it's not very comfortable and the sound won't be optimal, but you can still play two octaves. Playing other types of flutes help but the Shak will still be challenging, requiring very precise blowing and air pressure. Final point being: PVC flutes can be perfectly acceptable practice/beginner's instruments.

---
This email was sent from my Palm(TM) i705 handheld (www.palm.com)

Javier_Garc?a_Palma <javgpal@terra.es> wrote: __________ >Hello to everybody! Greetings from Spain! > >I have built seven PVC shakuhachis (1.8, tuned in D) > >I can get all notes of lower (otsu) octave with nice and rich sounds, but I have put all my efforts to get any sound of high (kan) octave with no results but the first two notes (ro and tsu). I've tried hard to 'overblow' to get these sounds. Actually I play silver flute with no troubles....These are my theories: > >1. The PVC pipe cannot reach such high frecuencies because of its rigid structure... >2. My technique is wrong. > >What's wrong with PVC and Kan octave?? > >Please, enlighten me with your wisdom... > >Thanks in advance.