Re: PVC second octave

From: eitan@palm.com
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 15:05:13 PST

I agree with you, for any fixed internal diameter, the longer the flute, the easier it is to reach the higher registers.

---
This email was sent from my Palm(TM) i705 handheld (www.palm.com)

WARYR@aol.com wrote: __________ >Hello Group. > >I have several PVC Shakuhachi in D from 3/4 inch, and have had NO trouble >reaching the higher octave. These are both Schedule 40 and 80 graywall. > >What type and size PVC did you use? And did you make the utaguchi in the PVC >itself or in a joint? It makes a difference on how it sits on your chin. > >I find technique is usually the only variant in ability to reach the upper >octave in longer flutes. Shorter wide air columns tent to lose the higher >notes in the second octave, but can be brought into tune by narrowing the >column itself. The ones 1.6 and less seem to lose the upper range of the kan, >but can be brought into range with throats inserted into the 3/4 inch PVC and >adjusted by hand. > >A site that might be a big help to you follows: > ><A HREF="www.navaching.com">www.navaching.com.</A> > >Nelson Zink seems to really know his stuff. Has done a lot of work with PVC >and other materials. > >Good luck in your Shak journey. > >Dave