Re: PVC second octave-Spanish shak?

From: César Viana (cesar.viana@oninet.pt)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 15:40:07 PST

--Apple-Mail-2-460698416
        charset=ISO-8859-1;
        format=flowed

Hello!
My name is C=E9sar, I am portuguese, and my life is divided between=20
Lisbon and Castelo Branco (actually near the portuguese-spanish=20
border). My career is focused both in the recorder and in orchestral=20
conducting, but I have discovered the shakuhachi some years ago, and=20
since the day I got a good instrument from Japan I've been practicing=20
every day. To learn the notation and the specific techniques of the=20
shakuhachi I used both the Christopher Blasdel book and the Annuals of=20=

the international society. But my best teachers are the masters of=20
shakuhachi I hear on CD when they play the same pieces for which I have=20=

a score. It is good to know that there are people in a neighbor country=20=

with interest in the shakuhachi.
Warm regards
c=E9sar
On Ter=E7a, Jan 21, 2003, at 18:25 Europe/Lisbon, JULIA Y ALFREDO wrote:

> Hello everybody! Hello Javier!
> I am a member of this list since 1998 (maybe more), but I had never=20
> send an email until today.
> I would like to know if there are more shakuhachi lovers hidden=20
> Spaniards like me. May be we could create a community or something so!
> I live in Colmenar Viejo, 30 km north from Madrid.
>
> Hope to have dozens of answers!
> Alfredo.
>

> De: Javier Garc=EDa Palma <javgpal@terra.es>
> Responder a: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
> Fecha: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:27:51 +0100
> Para: <shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu>
> Asunto: PVC second octave
>

> Hello to everybody! Greetings from Spain!
>
> I have built seven PVC shakuhachis (1.8, tuned in D)
>
> I can get all notes of lower (otsu) octave with nice and rich sounds,=20=

> but I have put all my efforts to get any sound of high (kan) octave=20
> with no results but the first two notes (ro and tsu). I've tried hard=20=

> to 'overblow' to get these sounds. Actually I play silver flute with=20=

> no troubles....These are my theories:
>
> 1. The PVC pipe cannot reach such high frecuencies because of its=20
> rigid structure...
> 2. My technique is wrong.
>
> What's wrong with PVC and Kan octave??
>
> Please, enlighten me with your wisdom...
>
> Thanks in advance.

--Apple-Mail-2-460698416
        charset=ISO-8859-1

Hello!

My name is C=E9sar, I am portuguese, and my life is divided between
Lisbon and Castelo Branco (actually near the portuguese-spanish
border). My career is focused both in the recorder and in orchestral
conducting, but I have discovered the shakuhachi some years ago, and
since the day I got a good instrument from Japan I've been practicing
every day. To learn the notation and the specific techniques of the
shakuhachi I used both the Christopher Blasdel book and the Annuals of
the international society. But my best teachers are the masters of
shakuhachi I hear on CD when they play the same pieces for which I
have a score. It is good to know that there are people in a neighbor
country with interest in the shakuhachi.

Warm regards

c=E9sar

I am a member of this list since 1998 (maybe more), but I had never
send an email until today.

I would like to know if there are more shakuhachi lovers hidden
Spaniards like me. May be we could create a community or something so!

I live in Colmenar Viejo, 30 km north from Madrid.

Hope to have dozens of answers!

Alfredo.

<bold>De: </bold>Javier Garc=EDa Palma <<javgpal@terra.es>

<bold>Responder a: </bold>Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu

<bold>Fecha: </bold>Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:27:51 +0100

<bold>Para: </bold><<shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu>

<bold>Asunto: </bold>PVC second octave