Re: Ear Problems??

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 10:01:52 PST

--=====================_259662421==.ALT

I don't to caffeine and alcohol, so that can't be the situation in my case.
Maybe salt and sugar?
anyway, I've not been to a doctor, so I can't tell if my case is mild or
severe. I just know its become more noticeable as time goes on.

I think, in my case, it may be a result of years of listing to tapes with
headphones on. Not that I have the audio level on very loud, mind you. I
don't like it loud. And this is a mixture of relaxtion music and meditation
tapes, so its not loud or thumping. But I think just the sound waves and
pressure being confined directly into the ears via the headphones may be a
factor. I think I heard Don Campbell mentioning a theory on that. He (or at
least I think it was he) doesn't feel headphone use is healthy for the
ears. (Now I find out!)

I remember hearing in high school or early college that when the ears are
subjected to loud noises that cause ringing, the ringing will last as long
as the time the original noise lasted. IE, a 2 hr rock concert results in 2
hrs of ringing. Well, in the early days I tried to notice that and
sometimes I thought that it was true. But you need relative quiet for the
ears to recover.

Now days, with the constant high level of everyday ambient noise, eg.
traffic, street construction, any other background noise, there is never
any quiet. So, if you're in a noisy environment for many years, do you need
the equivalent number of years of total quiet and silence to let your ears
recover?

Would wearing ear plugs on a regular basis help?

Herb

At 01/24/2003 07:47 AM, you wrote:
>I have had low grade Tinnitus for many years - I probably caused damage to
>my ears while in the army. Believe it or not I just got used to
>it. After going to several Doctors the best advice I got was to minimize
>salt, alcohol and caffeine in my diet. For some reason these feeds add to
>the problem.
>People also tend to be most annoyed by the noise when it is very
>quiet. So if you have trouble sleeping at night with it, just put some
>soft music on in the background - it tends to drown it out. Luckily, for
>me, it is barely noticable. I pity the soul who gets a bad case of this -
>it must be maddening.
>
>>From: Herb Rodriguez <Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu>
>>To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
>>Subject: Re: Ear Problems??
>>Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:24:50 -0700
>>
>>At 01/21/2003 03:58 PM, you wrote:
>>>though some people get some relief in various directions: herbals,
>>>drugs, acupuncture, Tinnitus Retraining Therapy. Some people spend a lot
>>>of money in a vain search for a cure or amelioration, while for some
>>>lucky others, the tinnitus spotaneously vanishes, even after months or years.
>>>
>>>Good luck.
>>>
>>>Windsor Viney Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
>>
>>Thanks for your detailed reply. Can you explain more about Tinnitus
>>Retraining Therapy?
>>
>>Herb

--=====================_259662421==.ALT

situation in my case. Maybe salt and sugar?<br>
anyway, I've not been to a doctor, so I can't tell if my case is mild or
severe. I just know its become more noticeable as time goes on.<br><br>
I think, in my case, it may be a result of years of listing to tapes with
headphones on. Not that I have the audio level on very loud, mind you. I
don't like it loud. And this is a mixture of relaxtion music and
meditation tapes, so its not loud or thumping. But I think just the sound
waves and pressure being confined directly into the ears via the
headphones may be a factor. I think I heard Don Campbell mentioning a
theory on that. He (or at least I think it was he) doesn't feel headphone
use is healthy for the ears. (Now I find out!)<br><br>
I remember hearing in high school or early college that when the ears are
subjected to loud noises that cause ringing, the ringing will last as
long as the time the original noise lasted. IE, a 2 hr rock concert
results in 2 hrs of ringing. Well, in the early days I tried to notice
that and sometimes I thought that it was true. But you need relative
quiet for the ears to recover.<br><br>
Now days, with the constant high level of everyday ambient noise, eg.
traffic, street construction, any other background noise, there is never
any quiet. So, if you're in a noisy environment for many years, do you
need the equivalent number of years of total quiet and silence to let
your ears recover?<br><br>
Would wearing ear plugs on a regular basis help?<br><br>
Herb<br><br>
At 01/24/2003 07:47 AM, you wrote:<br>
many years - I probably caused damage to my ears while in the army.&nbsp;
Believe it or not I just got used to it.&nbsp; After going to several
Doctors the best advice I got was to minimize salt, alcohol and caffeine
in my diet.&nbsp; For some reason these feeds add to the problem.&nbsp;
People also tend to be most annoyed by the noise when it is very
quiet.&nbsp; So if you have trouble sleeping at night with it, just&nbsp;
put some soft music on in the background - it tends to drown it
out.&nbsp; Luckily, for me, it is barely noticable.&nbsp; I pity the soul
who gets a bad case of this - it must be maddening.<br><br>
&lt;Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu&gt;<br>
in various directions: herbals, drugs, acupuncture, Tinnitus Retraining
Therapy. Some people spend a lot of money in a vain search for a cure or
amelioration, while for some lucky others, the tinnitus spotaneously
vanishes, even after months or years.<br><br>
Good luck.<br><br>
Windsor Viney Waterloo, Ontario, Canada</blockquote><br>
Thanks for your detailed reply. Can you explain more about Tinnitus
Retraining Therapy?<br><br>
Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.&nbsp; <br>
&lt;a