Re: Thanks

From: Marcus Grandon (mgrandon@tokai.or.jp)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 20:56:49 PST

--Apple-Mail-2--1062983477
        charset=ISO-8859-1;
        format=flowed

Tom,

I am a Mac geek, having bought machines in the USA and Japan. I hate=20
using these words, especially because I love to tweak out my computers,=20=

but here it goes. . . you are literally attempting to do the impossible.

I can tell you this from direct experience. You cannot load an=20
English version of OS 9 onto a mac bought in Japan. I have tried over=20=

and over and over; it just will not work. I surmise it is because of=20
the keyboard layout, but I truly have no idea why it fails. It just=20
does. I have tried on numerous computers.

At one time it was possible to switch a computer in Japan over to the=20
English OS, but it was only on a leap up - in other words, moving from=20=

OS 8 to OS 9. I have tried repeatedly what you want to do, and it just=20=

doesn't work. On one try, I messed up my dual gig so badly that I had=20=

to reinstall OS X, losing everything on the HD (of course, it was=20
backed up).

Apple would not agree to install an English version of OS 9 for two=20
reasons. One is licensing, the other is that I believe it is a=20
physical impossibility. Many people will not believe me, but I know =20
from experience. If you get it to work it will be a miracle. You=20
will have to do some sort of wizardry, which someone may know how to=20
do, but I do not believe it.

I suggest that you change your course of action. I am unfamiliar with=20=

your hardware, so I don't really know what to do. In this situation,=20
you are trying to use old hardware with new technology. Yes, it should=20=

be backward compatible, but it is not. The real problem is with the=20
Japanese and English versions of the Macs. Surely, there is a fix to=20
the problem, just not the one that looks obvious.

Are you aware that OS X is completely multi-lingual? Just a push of=20
the button and a restart puts the whole thing into English.

Anyway, one idea is to find the Japanese drive/softwarer for the pro=20
tools hardware. I guess that you dont want to do this because the=20
menus would be in japanese. Another thing would be to see of an OS X=20=

driver has been written for that hardware. DigiDesign did a special at=20=

macWorld this month, so I suspect full compatibility with OS X is just=20=

around the corner. Sadly, that may mean that you will have to wait=20
months until you can use the hardware. This seems to be the best=20
course, because it means that you can work in the more advanced OS of=20
the two. I hate working in OS 9 now. These computers are designed to=20=

work in X. You run the risk of setting up a system in OS 9, which is=20
pretty much obselete going forward.

Or you could buy yet another Mac that was made for America. A used one=20=

for cheap just to record music.

If it is the software that is giving you the problems, you will either=20=

have to wait until it is OS X compatible, or get a new (used=20
computer). You could use other software temporarily (such as Peak)=20
until the Pro tools stuff is ready.

I do have a long shot idea. No guarantees on this, and it could really=20=

mess things up, but you could uninstall the japanese OS 9, and try to=20
find an OS 8 in Japanese. Install it, then find an English OS 9 disk,=20=

and install it, thereby switching the OS into English. You would need=20=

9.0.? to lay an OS 9 base, then upgrade all the way to 9.2.2. This is=20=

only a theory. It may not work at all, and frankly sounds like way too=20=

much effort to solve the problem. Granted, it is a crazy idea.

Buying a new powerbook is a great idea, and I am envious for sure, but=20=

it may not help the problem. The new machine will surely be a pleasure=20=

to work with, and should eventually do what you need it to. It may just=20=

be a matter of time. Pro Tools is coming for OS X.

Keep us posted, as I would love to read that you fixed this.

The OS X driver for my music hardware was written in November, and I=20
haven't looked back. I do 99% of my work in OS X, and I love it!

Best of luck,

Marcus

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 09:34 AM, Tom wrote:

> Many thanks to all of you who have offered various solutions to the=20
> MOS problem. =A0Here is the real skinny.
>
> The operating system is actually for my oldest son, Shin, who last=20
> month moved back to Japan after having lived in Willits, California,=20=

> for the past 15 years. =A0He's a musician and has this music hardware=20=

> with software that wants to run on MOS 9.2.2 only.
>
> He has just ordered a 15 inch PowerBook from Apple Store Japan which=20=

> arrives with Japanese versions of both MOS 10.2 and 9.2.2 installed.=20=

> =A0The 10.2 installation disc is included with the purchase but the =
disc=20
> for 9.2.2 is not. =A0Problem is that Shin can only run on an English=20=

> version of any MOS. =A0Apple Store Japan is not helpful at all and =
would=20
> not agree to installing an English version of MOS 9.2.2 meaning that=20=

> all the menus, dialog and error boxes are in Japanese rather than=20
> English. =A0Thus the need you all know about. =A0So if we can find an=20=

> English MOS 9.2.2 he can trash the installed Japanese and replace it=20=

> with the English.
>
> For the record, I've recently installed on my own iMac the MOS 10.2=20
> Jaguar, discovering thereafter that it is useless because the Japanese=20=

> ISDN Terminal Adapter is not compatible. =A0So I have he choice now of=20=

> going back to low gear analog for 10.2, changing from ISDN to ADSL or=20=

> living with 9.2.2. ISDN. =A0Interestingly, MOSs 10.1 and will connect =
to=20
> the internet with ISDN.
>
> Thanks, everyone. =A0It's comforting to have so much help at hand.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Tom=

--Apple-Mail-2--1062983477
        charset=ISO-8859-1

Tom,=20

I am a Mac geek, having bought machines in the USA and Japan. I hate
using these words, especially because I love to tweak out my
computers, but here it goes. . . you are literally attempting to do
the impossible.

I can tell you this from direct experience. You cannot load an
English version of OS 9 onto a mac bought in Japan. I have tried over
and over and over; it just will not work. I surmise it is because of
the keyboard layout, but I truly have no idea why it fails. It just
does. I have tried on numerous computers.

At one time it was possible to switch a computer in Japan over to the
English OS, but it was only on a leap up - in other words, moving
from OS 8 to OS 9. I have tried repeatedly what you want to do, and
it just doesn't work. On one try, I messed up my dual gig so badly
that I had to reinstall OS X, losing everything on the HD (of course,
it was backed up). =20

Apple would not agree to install an English version of OS 9 for two
reasons. One is licensing, the other is that I believe it is a
physical impossibility. Many people will not believe me, but I know=20
from experience. If you get it to work it will be a miracle. You
will have to do some sort of wizardry, which someone may know how to
do, but I do not believe it. =20

I suggest that you change your course of action. I am unfamiliar with
your hardware, so I don't really know what to do. In this situation,
you are trying to use old hardware with new technology. Yes, it
should be backward compatible, but it is not. The real problem is with
the Japanese and English versions of the Macs. Surely, there is a fix
to the problem, just not the one that looks obvious.

Are you aware that OS X is completely multi-lingual? Just a push of
the button and a restart puts the whole thing into English.

Anyway, one idea is to find the Japanese drive/softwarer for the pro
tools hardware. I guess that you dont want to do this because the
menus would be in japanese. Another thing would be to see of an OS X
driver has been written for that hardware. DigiDesign did a special
at macWorld this month, so I suspect full compatibility with OS X is
just around the corner. Sadly, that may mean that you will have to
wait months until you can use the hardware. This seems to be the best
course, because it means that you can work in the more advanced OS of
the two. I hate working in OS 9 now. These computers are designed to
work in X. You run the risk of setting up a system in OS 9, which is
pretty much obselete going forward. =20

Or you could buy yet another Mac that was made for America. A used
one for cheap just to record music. =20

If it is the software that is giving you the problems, you will either
have to wait until it is OS X compatible, or get a new (used
computer). You could use other software temporarily (such as Peak)
until the Pro tools stuff is ready. =20

I do have a long shot idea. No guarantees on this, and it could
really mess things up, but you could uninstall the japanese OS 9, and
try to find an OS 8 in Japanese. Install it, then find an English OS
9 disk, and install it, thereby switching the OS into English. You
would need 9.0.? to lay an OS 9 base, then upgrade all the way to
9.2.2. This is only a theory. It may not work at all, and frankly
sounds like way too much effort to solve the problem. Granted, it is a
crazy idea.

Buying a new powerbook is a great idea, and I am envious for sure, but
it may not help the problem. The new machine will surely be a
pleasure to work with, and should eventually do what you need it to.
It may just be a matter of time. Pro Tools is coming for OS X.

Keep us posted, as I would love to read that you fixed this.

The OS X driver for my music hardware was written in November, and I
haven't looked back. I do 99% of my work in OS X, and I love it!

Best of luck,

Marcus

<excerpt>Many thanks to all of you who have offered various solutions
to the MOS problem. =A0Here is the real skinny.

The operating system is actually for my oldest son, Shin, who last
month moved back to Japan after having lived in Willits, California,
for the past 15 years. =A0He's a musician and has this music hardware
with software that wants to run on MOS 9.2.2 only.

He has just ordered a 15 inch PowerBook from Apple Store Japan which
arrives with Japanese versions of both MOS 10.2 and 9.2.2 installed.
=A0The 10.2 installation disc is included with the purchase but the disc
for 9.2.2 is <underline>not</underline>. =A0Problem is that Shin can
only run on an English version of any MOS. =A0Apple Store Japan is not
helpful at all and would not agree to installing an English version of
MOS 9.2.2 meaning that all the menus, dialog and error boxes are in
Japanese rather than English. =A0Thus the need you all know about. =A0So
if we can find an English MOS 9.2.2 he can trash the installed
Japanese and replace it with the English.

For the record, I've recently installed on my own iMac the MOS 10.2
Jaguar, discovering thereafter that it is useless because the Japanese
ISDN Terminal Adapter is not compatible. =A0So I have he choice now of
going back to low gear analog for 10.2, changing from ISDN to ADSL or
living with 9.2.2. ISDN. =A0Interestingly, MOSs 10.1 and will connect to
the internet with ISDN.

Thanks, everyone. =A0It's comforting to have so much help at hand.

Best wishes,

Tom</excerpt>=

--Apple-Mail-2--1062983477--