Re: Shakuhachi vs Hocchiku; Suizen vs Music

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 22:39:23 PST

Riley,

> shakuhachi and hochiku

There's a circularity to the whole discussion. Is there a definitive way to
distinguish between shakuhachi and hochiku? Or are we just taking about
white rice and brown rice?

The distinctions I've heard aren't definitive and tend to emphasis methods
of construction rather than aural characteristics. Are we talking about
degree of refinement as it applies to instrument, sound, etc.?

I understand your observation that making and wearing rice straw sandals may
not get one any closer to heaven. But spirituality is a matter of personal
perception and as such is totally subjective. One person's spirituality is
another's folly.

So while I agree with the general thrust of your message, at a deeper level
I don't. If someone says playing hochiku rather than shakuhachi makes them
more spiritual who am I to argue. But I think your real message is about
elitism whether it be spiritual or otherwise. Yes, it's annoying. But the
reverse snobbery is endearing: I'm better than you because my flute is worse
than yours.

And it shouldn't go unnoticed that Zen itself got it's start, in part, with
the rejection and repudiation of Chinese ornamentation. Maybe what we're
really taking about is the self-satisfaction asceticism can provide.

Nelson