Reply to Nelson

From: Riley Lee (riley@rileylee.net)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 02:18:11 PST

Nelson.

You may well be seeing a circularity to the whole discussion. Mind you,
any number of nutritionists would be very happy to enlighten you
regarding rice. There is a definitive way to distinguish the very real
difference between white and brown rice.

I also tend to agree with your statement that spirituality is a matter
of personal perception and as such is totally subjective.

But you are thrusting my argument in the wrong direction here. Yes, as
you say, if someone says playing hochiku rather than shakuhachi makes
them more spiritual who are you to argue. But if someone says that
playing hochiku rather than shakuhachi makes them more spiritual THAN
YOU, assuming that you play shakuhachi, then you might be more willing
to disagree.

Furthermore, you missed my real message.

At the risk of sounding apodictic, my real message is this. Many of us
folk who do play shakuhachi have muddled our personal perception of
what is spiritual in our bamboo flute playing activities and what is
music. One consequence of this is that the music aspect frequently
suffers.

I tend to think that the spiritual aspect may suffer too, but as you
point out, what is my folly might be someone else's brown rice.

Best regards, Riley

Dr. Riley Lee
PO Box 939
Manly 1655 NSW Australia