Re: Reply to Nelson

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 11:24:46 PST

Riley,

> There is a definitive way to distinguish the very real
> difference between white and brown rice.

Yeah, metaphors are rarely perfect.

> One consequence of this is that the music aspect frequently
> suffers.

OK, I think I get it. You're standing up for the music--as well you should.
One's life's work is important.

> But if someone says that
> playing hochiku rather than shakuhachi makes them more spiritual THAN
> YOU, assuming that you play shakuhachi, then you might be more willing
> to disagree.

Most everybody is more spiritual than me anyway so the point is somewhat
moot.

> Why would someone want to listen to 'blowing Zen' anyway, live or
> recorded?

I'll have to admit that I'd be curious to hear someone who has the temerity
to record themselves for just that reason alone. Not sure I'd pay to hear,
but I'd be curious.

> Many of us
> folk who do play shakuhachi have muddled our personal perception of
> what is spiritual in our bamboo flute playing activities and what is
> music.

Could you expound on this. I for one would really like to hear your
thinking. This is a distinction you've clearly made, now I'm asking you to
make it clear. You know something about all of this, I don't. What are the
differences between playing suizen and music? What's required for each?
What's the point of each? Suppose two people came to you, one to learn
suizen and the other music. How would your advice and instruction differ?
Such clarity would help both camps.

Nelson