Re: Shakuhachi vs Hocchiku; Suizen vs Music

From: Joseph Danza (jdanza@direct.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 18:21:44 PST

--------------6FF460BD6F6E18369EE89791

> With due respect to everyobody's views, I'd like to share my thoughts...

  Things are being mixed that don't mix at all... Musicality is something that
can be developed, and to a certain degree judged and measured. Commitment and
love to a craft is actually a good antidote to ego mania. I have been playing and
studying music for thirty years and the more I know the more my ignorance spreads
for miles ahead of me. I find that most true musicians are naturally humbled by
their craft constantly.
  On the other hand, spirituality is a state of being, not a "thing" to be
pursued and developed in the same sense. When it is approached that way it's a
sure path to an inflated ego. I have met very many a..holes in my life, but by
far the worst ones are the "spiritual" ones!. And I must admit that I have met an
inordinate amount of inflated egos in the shakuhachi world and it always makes me
curious about the apparent contradiction.
  My humble but strong advise is to be kind with your environment and with
yourself, respect your body, watch your diet, connect with Spirit in any way that
feels right and keep that connection alive whether blowing zen or wiping your
behind. Then, forget all about spirituality... Develop your musicality
fearlessly,
good music never hurt anyone.
  May all beings be peaceful and happy...

Pepe Danza
www.pepe-music.com

--------------6FF460BD6F6E18369EE89791

to share my thoughts...</blockquote>
&nbsp; Things are being mixed that don't mix at all... Musicality is something