Where does old notation go?

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 14:08:49 PST

I've been working on a project to make a list of all Kawase
(Chikuyusha) scores known to exist. I started with a list that
ostensibly represented all of the Kawase catalog - some 162 pieces,
and then went through my own collection and the collection of a
couple of friends, discovering a few pieces that are no longer
published.

For the curious, this list is online at:
        http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/kawase_index.html

And if you see or have access to anything not listed here, please
let me know.

This got me to thinking. Where does old sheet music go? I've
asked at a lot of antique stores, but only once ran across any
notation, and then it was for koto.

Somewhere there must be piles of old notation. I've heard that
people used to add shakuachi to funeral pyres, but I can't imagine
them tossing on the notation. Do those of you who live in Japan
find old scores when you go knocking around antique shops?

bj

-