Re: Scaling Factors

From: Karl Young (kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 13:43:03 PST

As usual, nice write up Nelson. It occurs to me that the rules you give
here suggest that the there's a cross sectional area or volume effect at
play here (i.e. that scaling for consistent timbre must be somewhat
dependent on one or the other of those quantities rather than just bore
diameter) i.e. that the scaling is more than a simple linear scaling.
It's probably hard to verify what the particular scaling rules are for
any but an oversimplified model of a bore but it's kind of an
interesting problem. In any case the direction of the corrections seem
to suggest this as well (i.e. smaller scaling in bore diameter than
linear for larger versions). Then again maybe I'm just spouting
electronic hot air...

--
Karl Young    kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC  M/S 71  PO Box 20450