Re: Scaling Factors

From: Joerg Bernsdorf (bernsdorf@ccrl-nece.de)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 01:48:32 PST

Dear Nelson,

thanks for the interesting article!

Being a beginner, before I could afford a real flute I played around
building my own copies with PVC tubes from the DIY shop ... far away
from questions related to timbre or such I was running into a problem
which I wonder how to deal with regarding your article: The two
shakuhachi I observed closely so far had a conical bore, having about
half the diameter at the end compared to the "inlet" (while my
Saxophones are just the other way round ...).
I couldn't find any PVC pipes with a changing diameter, so I simply
narrowed the end of my plastic flute by putting something inside... and
the quality of sound improved considerably.

While pipe organs (I assume) are having a constant diameteter throughout
their length, maybe shakuhachi don't ... so I wonder what the general
effect on the timbre that conical shape causes, and further, how to
scale this ... assuming I just multiply the diameters (on top and
bottom) by a given factor, their relation remains the same for all
lenghts - is that generally true in practice?

Sorry in case this all is already explained in detail somwhere in the
web I didn't find ...

Best wishes,
joerg

--
Joerg BERNSDORF (bernsdorf@ccrl-nece.de)
C&C Research Laboratories, NEC Europe Ltd.