Re: Scaling Factors

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 08:28:51 PST

Joerg,

> so I wonder what the general
> effect on the timbre that conical shape causes,

I wish I knew. I had never been able to find a definitive answer as why to
flutes changed to conical shape about 1650. Other woodwinds soon followed.
Then the flute switched back to straight pipe. The evidence doesn't support
the claim of tapers improving tonality. The evidence is stronger that the
conical shape was adopted to facilitate construction methods.

Perhaps someone more knowledge than I could answer. As far as I'm concerned
this is the central unanswered shakuhachi question.

> so I wonder what the general
> effect on the timbre that conical shape causes, and further, how to
> scale this ... assuming I just multiply the diameters (on top and
> bottom) by a given factor, their relation remains the same for all
> lenghts - is that generally true in practice?

I think so, in any event you'd be very close.

Nelson