Shakuhachi vs. Hochichu (again)

From: HeirPhoto@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 03:23:34 PST

--part1_1f1.3ff753a.2b9f2136_boundary

Hello,
It's been a while since the last thread on this subject and I have gone back
through the archives but still have questions.
It seems the idea of a pasted bore, finely tuned flute developed in the late
1800s or even later. A lot of what I gathered from archives suggests the
Hochiku may have developed around the same time as a concept of Watazumido
Shuso and his differing path from the "rest of the crowd" so to speak.
My question is, if the late development of the Hochiku idea is correct just
what existed before it and the pasted bore flutes? I would have guessed the
Hochiku, a natural bore, rather basic tool in both construction and tuning
would have been what the Komosu used and over the years this then developed
and became more refined into what we cal Shakuhachi today. That path seems
to be a natural development but from several of the accounts I have read the
Hochiku and Jinari flutes may not be that many years apart in concept.

Just what did the Komosu play?

Thanks,
Tony Miller

--part1_1f1.3ff753a.2b9f2136_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hello,<BR>
It's been a while since the last thread on this subject and I have gone back=
 through the archives but still have questions.<BR>
It seems the idea of a pasted bore, finely tuned flute developed in the late=
 1800s or even later.&nbsp; A lot of what I gathered from archives suggests=20=
the Hochiku may have developed around the same time as a concept of Watazumi=
do Shuso and his differing path from the "rest of the crowd" so to speak.<BR=

My question is, if the late development of the Hochiku idea is correct just=20=
what existed before it and the pasted bore flutes? I would have guessed the=20=
Hochiku, a natural bore, rather basic tool in both construction and tuning w=
ould have been what the Komosu used and over the years this then developed a=
nd became more refined into what we cal Shakuhachi today.&nbsp; That path se=
ems to be a natural development but from several of the accounts I have read=
 the Hochiku and Jinari flutes may not be that many years apart in concept.<=

<BR>
Just what did the Komosu play?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>