Re: Shakuhachi vs. Hochichu (again)

From: TomDeaver (tom-tom@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 14:19:20 PST

--MS_Mac_OE_3130298361_47118_MIME_Part

Back to Tony Miller and whoever else. When did Kurosawa Kinko die? Wasn't
it about 1750 or 60 or 80? I've had in my hands and played on, through the
courtesy of Yokoyama Ranpo, an isshaku san sun (1.3 shaku) flute made by
Kurosawa Kinko. It was all filled with something, probably urushi paste,
and very shiny on the inside.

I've also handled and played a longer flute made by Kurosawa Kinko's
teacher, Yuuko (Brave Tiger), that was the same way, all filled and shiny
inside.

So it seems that Tony's information is out of "date" or at least the date
he gives for the development of filled shiny bores doesn't correspond with
historical fact.

Anyone else have more (different) information?

Tom Deaver
Bei Shu Shakuhach
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/

--MS_Mac_OE_3130298361_47118_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Shakuhachi vs. Hochichu (again)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Back to Tony Miller and whoever else. &nbsp;=
When did Kurosawa Kinko die? &nbsp;Wasn't it about 1750 or 60 or 80? &nbsp;I=
've had in my hands and played on, through the courtesy of Yokoyama Ranpo, a=
n isshaku san sun (1.3 shaku) flute made by Kurosawa Kinko. &nbsp;It was all=
 filled with something, probably urushi paste, and very shiny on the inside.=
<BR>
<BR>
I've also handled and played a longer flute made by Kurosawa Kinko's teache=
r, Yuuko (Brave Tiger), that was the same way, all filled and shiny inside.<=

<BR>
So it seems that Tony's information is out of &nbsp;&quot;date&quot; or at =
least the date he gives for the development of filled shiny bores doesn't co=
rrespond with historical fact.<BR>
<BR>
Anyone else have more (different) information?<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom Deaver<BR>
Bei Shu Shakuhach<BR>
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3130298361_47118_MIME_Part--