Re: Kokan Shakuhachi no Gakki Gaku

From: HeirPhoto@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 03:41:11 PST

--part1_1cb.4e592ab.2ba076d7_boundary

Riley,

Thank you for the detailed information. That in a nutshell sums up what I was
looking for and in a way some of what I was thinking.

The wording of my question left something to be desired as I was mainly
interested in the differences in construction and playing style as just that
differences, not improvements or that one was "better". Flutes, or any
instruments for that matter when played with others need to play to a
standard rather than individually as far as tune is concerned anyway. The
thoughts on modern ji nashi make sense to me as well. We as 'modern players
are used to a certain sound. Maybe we expect a good ji nashi flute to now
sound the same as this modern standard even though in history they may have
sounded much differently.

It does make me wonder about the earliest flutes. Were they made to a strict,
but different standard than today or were they simply a very basic flute then
played to a very strict (but different) standard.

Riley, thanks again for the info. I read it quickly on my way to work but it
immediately tied together lots of random thoughts for me. Interesting stuff.
The more I learn the less I realize I really know. Hmmm, maybe that is what
this is all about <g>.

Best,
Tony

--part1_1cb.4e592ab.2ba076d7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Riley,<BR>
<BR>
Thank you for the detailed information. That in a nutshell sums up what I wa=
s looking for and in a way some of what I was thinking.<BR>
<BR>
The wording of my question left something to be desired as I was mainly inte=
rested in the differences in construction and playing style as just that dif=
ferences, not improvements or that one was "better".&nbsp; Flutes, or any in=
struments for that matter when played with others need to play to a standard=
 rather than individually as far as tune is concerned anyway.&nbsp; The thou=
ghts on modern ji nashi make sense to me as well. We as 'modern players are=20=
used to a certain sound. Maybe we expect a good ji nashi flute to now sound=20=
the same as this modern standard even though in history they may have sounde=
d much differently.<BR>
<BR>
It does make me wonder about the earliest flutes. Were they made to a strict=
, but different standard than today or were they simply a very basic flute t=
hen played to a very strict (but different) standard.<BR>
<BR>
Riley, thanks again for the info. I read it quickly on my way to work but it=
 immediately tied together lots of random thoughts for me. Interesting stuff=
. The more I learn the less I realize I really know. Hmmm, maybe that is wha=
t this is all about &lt;g&gt;.<BR>
<BR>
Best,<BR>
Tony<BR>