Re: Kokan Shakuhachi no Gakki Gaku

From: Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin (Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 07:16:14 PST

Wow.
Thanks Riley, for your incredibly well-written and informative email. I feel
that I learned a lot.

But, one more thing on the subject of "intonation" for Honkyoku.
There are many varying stances on this subject, but their are two that i
find particularly informative:

1-As many of you know Kurahashi Yoshio Sensei teaches many Honkyoku without
using any (or many) partially closed holes when playing Meri. Of course,
this will sometimes lead to a somewhat "sharpened pitch for the Meri.
Kurahashi-Sensei's point, however, is that ,"Who are we to decide what the
Edo-period player felt was in tune or not." He believes that the early
players had a sense of intonation which allowed for notes to be sharper than
our ears hear them.

2-Yokoyama Katsuya-Sensei (among other great attributes, without a doubt the
world's foremost proponent of Dokyoku) once said to me that, "I don't
believe this stuff about players hearing the Meri-sounds sharper. They just
can't play in tune If they could- they would !!"

So, I think that the best way to approach this perhaps, is to ask your
teachers opinion on this subject, and if you agree- follow it ..

Ronnie