Re: spirituality in music

From: Steven Casano (casanosteven@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 15:05:53 PST

<P>Tony,</P>
<P>Thank you for your comments. I agree with you, but as stated earlier in my statement, one does not necessarliy need to be performing music to attain this state, which, to me implies that one does not need to be playing specific pieces or repertoire.&nbsp; </P>
<P>However, to capture that "sound from within" through a muscial instrument, one still needs certain technical profiencies.&nbsp; This does not mean that a musician, for example, is technically proficient if they can play fast and loud, for I have heard many performances where the player can "technically" play through a Chopin etude or difficult honkyoku, or some other technically challenging piece but fails to convey the true spirit of the piece.&nbsp;Furthermore, you can sense their was no connection between the performer and the music; i.e., they did not attain flow or mushin. From the many concerts I have attended, I can sense whether the performer has reached this state or not, for if they have I am transported on their journey with them. Why is this so? It is very difficult to answer.&nbsp; However, as I progress through both a life as a musician, teacher, and student of Qigong, I believe what influences this flow is how the ki or qi is flowing through the body. This !
is one area that has not been discussed much within the shakuhachi tradition.&nbsp; It is largely discussed in the martial arts of Japan and China and even within such arts as calligraphy, but is neglected in our discussions on this list.&nbsp; I look forward to some feedback concerning this.</P>
<P>Steve&nbsp; <BR></P>
<P><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: HeirPhoto@aol.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: spirituality in music
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:12:39 EST
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;In a message dated 3/30/2003 1:41:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,