Re: spirituality in music

From: daniel G. Soergel (dsoergel@juno.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 20:30:47 PST

The word spirituality is used so often and can mean so many things to so
many people, I tend to shy away from it. But certainly the comments made
here ring true. But what is difference between spirituality and art
making after all? We do have the two to differentiate, and while the
latter can take us to the edge of a profound and universal human
experience, and the former implies something even more. What is it?

I had the joy of having a friend dive into a lush and passionate Piano
"performance" last night. Passionate because after experiencing TWO
dehabilitating car accidents over the past few years, she could now
finally sit and play her instrument for us again. The feeling of
gratitude and giving was overwhelming, spontaneous and flowed naturally.

To me, its not about the ego one way or another. Or about looking deep
inside oneself. Its about the relationship to what lies beyond the
self--- the rest of us. How else could the world be transformed by mere
art making?

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com