Re: shakuhachi V1 #289

From: edBeaty (edosan@boulder.net)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 08:17:15 PST

Dear Jonas,

Well said indeed, and an echo of my own thoughts and feelings. In my
earlier life, I was a trained scientist, so I resonate a bit with
Viney's assertions, but (if they are true...) they are similar to
saying that the viewing of a Van Gogh has mostly to do with the
juices mingling in the region of the eyeballs...

I invariably enjoy your thoughtful, kindly, and yet pointed posts.

Thanks,
eB

>I just want to add a word to the last interchange between Mark Miller and
>Windsor Viney. Personally, I like Kobun Chino Roshi's phrase, "unrestricted
>being". Yes, perhaps "beingness" is a mouthful of marbles. But I don't
>agree with Mr. Viney that Mark and the Roshi have read too much Heidegger.
>Someone who speaks Japanese might give us the Japanese word for "being".
>I'll bet that, in the Zen lexicon, that "being" word has been around along
>time before Heidegger. And I think it's a good word that points to something
ineffable but real.

--

"Take the only tree that's left, and stuff it up the hole in your culture..." --Leonard Cohen

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>= Ed Beaty Boulder, CO edosan@boulder.net 303.415.1238 =<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=