Re: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: Karl Young (kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 15:33:05 PST

Nelson,

Ok, if you reduce all debate about the meaning of enlightenment to
problems with fad obsessed American culture there's not much I can say
(though that's never stopped me before !). The debate about the nature
of enlightenment has been going on for centuries (certainly before the
great schism between the northern and southern Chan schools of China)
and "my quibble" was based more on a response I envisioned that Dogen
might have to your rather dogmatic description of enlightenment (though
you seem to imply that the only relevant basis for a debate on the
nature of enlightenment is in the context of problems with sloppy
thinking in American Zen). Dogen was perhaps no less dogmatic; his dogma
however was different than the Rinzai types which is what I'm assuming
your basing your definition on. Perhaps you think Dogen was some king of
weak thinking, fashion chasing excuse for a Zen practitioner. Perhaps.