Re: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 17:09:12 PST

Karl,

> The debate about the nature
> of enlightenment has been going on for centuries

And I don't have a dog in that fight. I've never been able to figure out
what people are talking about. So I've approached it more like a native of
Missouri--show me. Give me an example of someone who achieved something they
characterize as enlightenment and demonstrate how it's unique--that's the
test.

Bill wrote earlier about the experience and sensation of timelessness. It's
a wonderful ability, but not unique. People spontaneously experience it
regularly. It can be learned and cultivated in short order with little
dedication and/or training. Further, it can be permanently attained through
surgery. So while I think the ability to switch into timelessness is
valuable, enjoyable and probably healthful in moderation, I'm a little wary
about adopting it as a lifelong state.

I'm far less interested in the definition of enlightenment than the fact
that numbers of people have dedicated their lives to this attainment, when
in fact, there is little common knowledge or understanding of the task or
it's result.

Since you and I have persisted in this exchange, I'll ask you. Have you or
anyone you know achieved something you call enlightenment?

The notion of enlightenment as advocated by Buddha achieved two things:
Release from the cycle of birth and death and the lessening of pain,
discomfort and unhappiness while alive. The first arises from the Hindu
problem of how to change caste. By continual practice one could be reborn to
higher and higher castes and then finally to transcend life on earth
altogether. The second was a more direct salve for the unpleasant vagaries
of life.

Both reasons are based on the notion that life on this planet sucks. The
whole point was (is?) to get off-planet. And the ticket? The mysterious
enlightenment.

So it isn't surprising that there arose a cult specifically interested in
attaining enlightenment. Zen is the stripped-down, hot-rod model of
Buddhist, with the attainment of enlightenment as its single objective.
Monastic life, individual and dedicated effort were the norm.

Then Zen washed up on American shores and the concepts of enlightenment
started getting furry--even optional. Zen Lite.

This is Riley's point about blowing Zen--you can't do it any old way you
want.

Nelson