Re: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: Karl Young (kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 08:31:42 PST

Nelson,

Well to try and answer your question I have to admit that while I think
that the debate about what constitutes "true enlightenment" is
interesting and perhaps central to many re. studying Buddhism it's not
central to my practice (and this is perhaps influenced by my
interpretation of Dogen's notion of gradual enlightenment - i.e.
something like sitting IS enlightenment). What attracted me to Buddhism
was the Buddha's straightforward characterization of suffering, as you
aptly put it - life sucks; also his argument that there's a way out was
certainly attractive to a morose teenager who had read too much Camus.
As such I can say that certain teachers and practitioners of my
acquaintance have a certain presence of mind and generosity of spirit
that is unique in my experience and serves as motivation for me re. my
attempts at practicing Buddhism. Whether or not this constitutes
official enlightenment or not is of little concern to me. I would not be
qualified to judge in any case and an opinion either way would have
virtually no effect on anything I did.