Re: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 16:48:12 PST

Karl,

> I think Nelson is unfairly tarring people who explore the
> subtleties of authority in Buddhism as typical, sloppy failed American
> wannabes and I disagree with that.

I'm just talking about the Zen sect of Buddhism--I'm not aware of any other
sects which rely on authority as much as Zen. I know far less about other
branches which I understand to be very diverse in ideology and methods. From
somewhere I have the idea that Pure Land, for example, is far less
interested in enlightenment and more concerned with day to day living. I'm
assuming there are about as many variations in Buddhism as a person could
want. All equally valid and useful. The Zen thing comes up because the
shakuhachi is connected with that particular sect.

I don't think the words Zen and Buddhism are synonymous--Zen is a version of
Buddhism. The flute can be played many ways.

Nelson