Re: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: eurydice (eurydice@cruzio.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 17:44:13 PST

One question I've always asked myself, regarding "authority," and "gurus,"
and "no transmission outside the lineage," is this:
WHO GAVE THE BUDDHA TRANSMISSION?

Once you answer that question, you penetrate the diamond.

I have sat zazen with many groups over the years (some of whom are led by
ladies and gentlemen that claim dharma transmissions from famous roshis and
rinpoches), and I haven't locked eyebrows with anyone YET that I would call
enlightened, in the way that you can actually grok the enlightenent of
(merely by reading texts of their words and exchanges) hoary old foxes like
Huang-Po, Dogen, Hui-Neng, Ryokwan, and Hakuin, to name a few.

You can reach across centuries with these texts, and know that they were
actualised there in the mind point.

So I question who has the authority to grant or not grant
mind-transmission, or certify enlightenment, when Shakyamuni himself
achieved it by himself. (My apologies to the Tricycle and Snow Lion weekend
workshop and bbring your plastic crowd.)

Gassho.