response peter's questions about shak' and spirituality

From: joel taylor (joeltaylor@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 12:03:51 PDT

>Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 04:02:36 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Peter H <voxsonorus@yahoo.com>
>To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
>Subject: Re: shakuhachi and spritual practice
>
>Well, I read every email, but none of them really pertained to my
>original questions.

> I'm still
>unsure whether, if one or more of the "musical" things like pitch,
>timing or phrasing, expressivenes, quality of tone, etc, are lacking in
>one's playing, the spiritual side suffers. Can you say "well, his
>technique and sound are terrible, but his playing has great spirit."
>How about the opposite, and if so is one the converse of the other,
>i.e. can just one but not both be true? Anyone care to bite this time?

Peter, I'm going to take a shot at it. Hard, deep topic.
In my experience, as someone who just plays the shakuhachi, doesn't
belong to any school of shakuhachi playing, and doesn't do Zen in any
way, I find that I CAN sometimes honestly say about some players that
"their playing is terrible, but has great spirit."

However, when I've heard this, it's not because the musician is not
TRYING to play well, they always are: though they play badly,
somehow the purity of their intention gets into their sound. If a
player just doesn't care, that's something else, and that comes
across in the sound, too.

I also find that the converse can be true, I've heard a number of
musicians, on shakuhachi, and other instruments as well, about whose
music one could say: " They play perfectly (or very well, or
whatever) from a technical point of view, but their music is flawed
by the sound being infected w/ ego."

In my personal experience, this absorbtion by sound of psychological
beingness, or spiritual intent, is clearest w/ voice and wind
instruments, but i've heard gorgeous violin tones dripping w/
self-satisfaction more than a few times in my concert going
life...even the piano's sound can be infected. How this happens is
unclear, but the result is clear, at least to me, at least part of
the time. I think many others have had this experience.

On the positive side of this, think about John Coltrane's sound, and
how much spiritual striving, and musical and life experience there is
in the sound, but how little ego. I'm sure most of us can think of
great musicians whose sound somehow embodies their greatness as human
beings....which most of them came to by way of intense practice and
focus on the MUSICAL aspects of playing. In my opinion.

Strive to be a better musician, that IS true spiritual discipline.

As for me, I try to keep my ego out of my sound, while letting my
life/music experience inform it. I try to concentrate on the inner
flow of the sound, regardless what i'm playing, or with whom I'm
playing, while at the same time attending to musical matters such as
pitch, timbre, rhythm. I try to do this even when playing
computer/synthesizer! (Can a synthesizer's sound be contain spirit?
Hmmm... ) I also try to play as well as possible, technically. It's
important, it's part of the musical way, to sincerely work on
improving one's musicianship, and to try to do justice to the music,
musically. It's just part of the way though, not the whole thing.

My 2 cents.
joel

--
Joel G. Taylor