Black lacquered Shakuhachi

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 18:06:22 PDT

Recently I picked up a great wooden 1.6 on EBAY. It is really a beauty and
sounds great (It is in tune). I bought it to use it at work during my
teaching breaks.

Interestingly it is covered on the outside with black Lacquer. (The inside is
painted brown) The other thing that is nice about it is that it is a two
piece with shinny brass rings at the joint.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of Black Lacquered shakuhachis? It has no hanko
on it so I can't trace the maker. I'm really curious about it since it seems
to be very well made.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Dominic