RE: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: Brian K. Miller (millerbk@rconnect.com)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 18:44:01 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3013C.A19D4510
        charset="Windows-1252"

  This has been a fascinating thread. To me its' especially interesting
because I am not a zen student, nor am I a Buddhist. I blow shak, never the
less, because I enjoy the serenity and peace that it instills in my heart.
I am very familiar with yoga philosophy, although that certainly does not
make me an expert. I would like, though, to offer a yoga slant to this
discussion.

  One of the basic tenants of eastern religions is that the difference
between "man" and "spirit" is in appearance only. Western religions,
generally speaking, view creation as being separate from the creator. There
can be a point of contact, and that is western enlightenment, but there is
always a difference. Eastern spirituality sees a divine unity between
creation and the creator - they are one and the same, inseparatable. The
apparent differentiation between creation and the creator, in yoga, is
caused by delusion - Maya and cosmic universal and individual ignorance
advaiya. When this delusion is cast off, then the individualized
consciousness merges with and expands into it's true, infinite being. This
awakening can come in stages, or occur instaneously.

  A spiritual teacher is very helpful in avoiding the myriad of obstacles to
spiritual advancement that will occur along the spiritual path. Often he or
she will teach by example. Sometimes the guru will, when the student is
receptive, choose to transmit a portion of his own divine realization
directly. Yoga philosophy says that 50% of the spiritual effort comes from
Gods grace, 25% from the guru guidance while the student must do his part
(25%).

  That the Buddha seemed not to have a guru, does not imply that he never
had one. He most certainly (according to yoga philosophy) would have had a
guru in a previous incarnation. During that earlier lifetime he attained
liberation. As Siddhartha he was an Avatar, a divine incarnation. In order
to incarnate, the Avatar takes on some outward appearance of Maya delusion.
Inwardly he is ever free. The state of an Avatar is beyond mortal
comprehension. Although very difficult to understand, his struggles as
Siddhartha to attain liberation were real, and intended to teach great
lessons to mankind by his example.

  How does one recognize a truly enlightened one? In the final sense, only
one already enlightened can do that. However, simply being in the presence
of a realized master will automatically uplift one's own consciousness.
Also, although beyond law, the true master will continue to act in ways that
set the highest good example. For example, even though meditation for him
is no longer necessary, he will continue to do so to encourage his students.

  The shakuhachi breath is very similar to some of the breathing exercises
in yoga. Control of breath is to control prana (life force). Control of
prana (pranayama) is the goal of yoga breathing practices. Once controlled,
the life energy can be willfully withdrawn from the senses and body, thus
breaking the vice grip hold of Maya on the mind. Once withdrawn, the mind
is no longer distracted by the restlessness of the body machine and can be
much more easily concentrated upon its' true nature. In yoga theory,
meditation begins only after the breath ceases. Repeated contact of the
mind with higher states of realization ultimately dislodges the ego's
attachment to the delusion of its' separate existence from spirit (the
ultimate reality).

  Without life force control, it is almost impossible for most spiritual
students to have the intensity of concentrated calmness that enables them to
disassociate the consciousness from the mind and body. Chanting, visual
ions, prayers, koans, etc. indirectly help the student to control prana
(according to yoga) and withdraw the consciousness form the external
distractions of the world. Calm, concentrated Shakuhachi blowing,
therefore, can certainly help to induce an inner state of elevated
awareness. Certain kinds of music are much more conductive to this state,
as well. Sound is vibration - thought is vibration. Spiritualized music
has higher vibrations that can directly lift the thought vibrations of the
performer and listener. The divinely inspired music of Bach and a few other
western composers, devotional chants, Zen honkyoko, etc., can naturally lead
one who is receptive to higher states of consciousness.

  Sorry for the long winded ramblings!
  Cheers - Brian

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3013C.A19D4510
        charset="Windows-1252"

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2920.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D450300800-13042003>This=20
  has been a fascinating thread.&nbsp; To me its' especially interesting =
because=20
  I am not a zen student, nor am I a Buddhist.&nbsp; I blow shak, never =
the=20
  less, because I enjoy the serenity and peace that it instills in my=20
  heart.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am very familiar with yoga philosophy, although =
that=20
  certainly does not make me an expert.&nbsp; I would like, though, to =
offer a=20
  yoga slant to this discussion.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D450300800-13042003>One=20
  of the basic tenants of eastern religions is that the&nbsp;difference =
between=20
  "man" and "spirit" is in appearance only.&nbsp; Western religions, =
generally=20
  speaking,&nbsp;view&nbsp;creation as being&nbsp;separate from the=20
  creator.&nbsp; There can be a point of contact, and that is western=20
  enlightenment, but there is always a difference.&nbsp; Eastern=20
  spirituality&nbsp;sees a divine unity between creation&nbsp;and the =
creator -=20
  they are one and the same, inseparatable.&nbsp; The apparent =
differentiation=20
  between creation and the creator, in yoga, is caused by delusion - =
Maya and=20
  cosmic universal and individual ignorance advaiya.&nbsp; When this=20
  delusion&nbsp;is cast off, then the individualized consciousness =
merges with=20
  and expands into it's true, infinite being.&nbsp;&nbsp; This awakening =
can=20
  come in stages, or occur instaneously.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D450300800-13042003>A=20
  spiritual teacher is very helpful in avoiding the myriad of obstacles =
to=20
  spiritual advancement that&nbsp;will occur along the spiritual path. =
Often he=20
  or she will teach by example.&nbsp; Sometimes the guru will, when the =
student=20
  is receptive, choose to transmit a portion of his own divine =
realization=20
  directly.&nbsp; Yoga philosophy says that 50% of the spiritual effort =
comes=20
  from Gods grace, 25% from the guru guidance while the student must do =
his part=20
  (25%).</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D450300800-13042003>That=20
  the Buddha seemed not to have a guru, does not imply that he never had =

  one.&nbsp; He most certainly (according to yoga philosophy) would have =
had a=20
  guru in a previous incarnation.&nbsp; During that earlier lifetime he =
attained=20
  liberation.&nbsp;&nbsp;As Siddhartha&nbsp;he&nbsp;was an Avatar, a =
divine=20
  incarnation.&nbsp; In order to incarnate, the Avatar takes on some =
outward=20
  appearance of Maya delusion. Inwardly he is ever free.&nbsp; The state =
of an=20
  Avatar is beyond mortal comprehension. Although very&nbsp;difficult to =

  understand, his struggles as Siddhartha to attain liberation were =
real, and=20
  intended to&nbsp;teach great lessons to mankind by his=20
  example.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D450300800-13042003>How=20
  does one recognize a truly enlightened one?&nbsp; In the final sense, =
only one=20
  already enlightened can do that.&nbsp; However, simply being in the =
presence=20
  of a realized master will automatically uplift one's own =
consciousness.&nbsp;=20
  Also, although beyond law, the true master will continue to act in =
ways that=20
  set the highest good example.&nbsp; For example, even though =
meditation for=20
  him is no longer necessary, he will continue to do so to encourage his =

  students.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D450300800-13042003>The=20
  shakuhachi breath is very similar to some of the breathing exercises =
in=20
  yoga.&nbsp; Control of breath is to control prana (life force). =
Control of=20
  prana (pranayama) is the goal of yoga breathing practices.&nbsp; Once=20
  controlled, the life energy can be willfully withdrawn from the senses =
and=20
  body, thus breaking the vice grip hold of&nbsp;Maya on the=20
  mind.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once withdrawn, the mind is no longer distracted by =
the=20
  restlessness of the body machine and can be much more easily =
concentrated upon=20
  its' true nature.&nbsp; In yoga theory, meditation begins only after =
the=20
  breath&nbsp;ceases.&nbsp; Repeated contact of the mind with higher =
states of=20
  realization ultimately dislodges the ego's attachment to the delusion =
of its'=20
  separate existence from spirit (the ultimate =
reality).</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003>Without life force control, it is almost =
impossible=20
  for most spiritual students to have the intensity of concentrated =
calmness=20
  that enables them to disassociate the consciousness from the mind and=20
  body.&nbsp; Chanting, visual ions, prayers, koans, etc. indirectly =
help the=20
  student to control prana (according to yoga) and withdraw the =
consciousness=20
  form the external distractions of the world.&nbsp; Calm, concentrated=20
  Shakuhachi blowing, therefore, can certainly help to induce an inner =
state of=20
  elevated awareness.&nbsp; Certain kinds of music are much more =
conductive to=20
  this state, as well.&nbsp;&nbsp; Sound is vibration - thought is=20
  vibration.&nbsp; Spiritualized music has higher vibrations that can =
directly=20
  lift the thought vibrations of the performer and listener. The =
divinely=20
  inspired music of Bach and a few other western composers, devotional =
chants,=20
  Zen honkyoko, etc., can naturally lead one who is receptive to higher =
states=20
  of consciousness. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003>Sorry for the long winded=20
  ramblings!</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  class=3D450300800-13042003>Cheers - =
Brian</SPAN></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><?/fontfamily></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3013C.A19D4510--