Colorado camp deadline

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 12:29:08 PDT

(Forwarded to list by request of David Wheeler)

Dear Shakuhachi list:

Here is what the Teacher/Masters for the 5th Annual Shakuhachi Summer
Camp of the Rockies have to say about it. As you can see, they love
it. We are confident you will too! We hope to see you there.
Cory Sperry, Organizer
www.shakucamp.com

[discount for registering by April 15]

"If I could only attend one shakuhachi event in the year, this is
the one I would choose. Especially this year.
This year, there will be more teachers representing more styles and
more lineages than ever before. This means classes with small
teacher/student ratios in which an extremely wide range of pieces being
taught. It means more individual attention for everyone, including rank
beginners.
It means leaving the Camp with enough material, information,
instruction, stimulation and guidance to fill one's practice almost
until the next year, regardless of one's level of skill and
musical/spiritual interests."
Riley Lee (Australia)

"Shakuhachi Camp is not only an excellent opportunity by which to
further ones' knowledge and technical abilities; it is also a rare
opportunity to
meet and socialize with a diverse range of shakuhachi teachers and other
students. Although much shakuhachi music centers around a highly
developed solo repertoire--played alone--one of the most rewarding aspects of
playing the instrument is belonging to a community of like-minded souls who
--together--strive to master and better understand the mysteries of
sound expressed through a single piece of bamboo."
Christopher Yohmei Blasdel (Japan)

"As I have said to many of the camp participants, the student
recital at camp has been the highlight of my year for the past three
years. It is really an honor to be allowed to watch or listen to these
songs being played with such purity of heart and mind. Actually, last
year, I felt that I was trespassing into everyone's personal space and
decided tolisten and not look at each person. As if watching monks
chanting: it's not a performance! (Although some of the westerners I
went to Japan to make a shakuhachi video with last year approached them
that way: "oh, look at the monks chanting, how exotic!") I would prosper
by watching each person as one can actually see the the mind's grasp on
itself as each player concentrates and the heart flows out. I am shocked
more and more by this phenomenon: to be able to "see' the inner self in
action. I am rejuvenated and invigored every year. There is something
retained by the pure desire of the amateur shakuhachi player which I
feel is a challenge for the professional player/teacher to retain. This
is best explained in Japanese shakuhachi lingo by a well known saying
"shoshin no kokoro wo wasure bekarazu", or "don't lose the beginner's
mind". This is often seen written in nice calligraphy hanging on the
wall in a shakuhachi "Dojo". It's also often misinterpreted as it's
really hanging there for the teacher's benefit!
It is also a highlight of my year to be working with some really
great teachers!
I hope you all can find time in your schedules for us to join
together in such a beautiful and positive activity as this camp is. I
think it's the best thing we can do in light of the world's situation
today and always: that is, to keep your priorities intact, and do what
you always do, only with renewed dedication. Shakuhachi teaches us that
we're all a part of each other and of the world. Our camp is evidence of
this awareness and of how we value this. I look forward to camp again
and hope we can continue to make it grow and develop."
Michael Chikuzen Gould (USA)

"'See you in Rocky!'
This is a greeting among shakuhachi favorites.
Great nature and fine foods welcome us,
and funny people gather from all over the world.
I do not know such a joyful shakuhachi event as the Rocky Shakuhachi
Camp.
Come to join us in Rocky!"
Yoshio Kurahashi (Japan)

"Of the many Japanese traditional performing arts, none has a
stronger presence outside of Japan than the shakuhachi. While many
people may know about and enjoy watching Sumo wrestling and Kabuki
drama, in actual popularity of practice, nothing comes close to the
shakuhachi. Performing and teaching classes and individiuals outside of
Japan allows me to rediscover the wonders of this instrument that make
it so attractive. I encourage all Japanese players and lovers of the
shakuhachi to join me in this international celebration of this
instrument and its music."
Kaoru Kakizakai (Japan)

"If you have not yet attended this event, one of the greatest and
most broad-reaching annual gatherings of shakuhachi masters from around
the world, June 26-30 this year offers you another chance. I sincerely
hope you will join us in the beautiful natural environs Sunrise Ranch in
the foothills of the Rocky Mountains for the 5th Annual Shakuhachi
Summer Camp of the Rockies."
David Wheeler (USA)