Re: shakuhachi and glasses

From: Karl Young (kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 11:03:37 PDT

Hi Lucinda,

I though I was the only geek with this problem ! (Sorry, didn't mean to
imply you're a geek just because I am). That problem drove me crazy for
a while as it's hard enough getting the physical position/motion/pitch
coordination together without having to have another whole set for
sitting seiza in a lesson. I suppose their are a number of clever
solutions to this problem (and I'm sure we'll hear about a few !) but my
simplistic one was to just use an old pair of single lens (i.e. not
progressive) glasses. The prescription isn't as good as my progressives
and I can't use them to read but it worked like a charm re. allowing
more flexibility in my head position while sitting seiza. Now the only
problem is my fading memory; i.e. it's really embarrassing when I forget
to bring that pair of glasses for a lesson and I'm squirming, twisting
and bending to both see the music and play in tune. See you in Boulder...