RE: Spirituality in music, Qi, Flow...

From: Brian K. Miller (millerbk@rconnect.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 15:22:42 PDT

Dear Paul,
Welcome to the world of shakuhachi. It can lead you wherever you want to
go. I have found it to be a demanding, but rewarding teacher.

To me, spirituality means conscious integration between man and "spirit".

I agree that a "flow" state may not have anything to do with spirituality.
Personally, I believe that unless it leads to a higher state of awareness of
truth, the "flow" consciousness is simply then a state of awareness
somewhere between the conscious and subconscious. It's kind of like driving
down the road and realizing that the last mile or so is a complete mental
blank. The deeply concentrated mind may enter a flow state, but unless it
is focused upon spirit (i.e., expansive awareness, peace, love, bliss or
some other transcendent quality of being) its experiences and insights will,
most likely, be limited to the phenomenal world.

Still, not a bad place to be!
Cheers,
   Brian