RE: Spirituality in music, Qi, Flow...

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 00:02:07 PDT

>>Still, not a bad place to be!
For sure, and it's a worthy goal in itself to achieve...and who knows,
maybe in the end that's all there is to it:-)

On reflection, I'll retract my statement of "and personally I don't
think instrument type enters the argument at all" for the moment,
especially after re-reading
http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/Mail/0144.html and
http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/Mail/0087.html

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/timbre.html in some ways supports
Satosi-san's conclusions by also looking at the (psycho)acousatics of
the instruments.
"The shakuhachi as a 'musical' instrument is built to boost the higher
harmonics--thus it's particular bright timbre. The hochiku as a
'spiritual' instrument is designed to emphasis the lower harmonics and
so it sounds darker. Apparently in the shakuhachi world a skinny tube is
'musical' and a fat tube 'spiritual'--it's a simple matter of timbre,
which is largely a matter of aspect ratio. Play both and you've got it
covered."

Could be it's a little like playing deep blues...it's all in the tone( =
deep feeling). Perhaps you can only get this through a specific type of
instrument and/or combination of materials/technique. Or maybe it's just
a matter of taste, or whatever...

As an experimental digital "instrument" builder, I can also sort of
understand where Yokoyama is coming from: "Lastly, he mentioned that
everyone should make their own flute, thereby avoiding the trap of
mistaking one's own shortcomings and blaming the flute maker."

So it does and it doesn't matter...if that makes sense?
(Sort of like Musashi bonking Kojiro on the head with his oar)

";p