Re: PVC Shakuhachi 1

From: Joerg Bernsdorf (bernsdorf@ccrl-nece.de)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 00:49:20 PDT

Patterson Clark wrote:

> Before anyone purchases or puts a flame to PVC, they may want to read this
> link: http://archive.greenpeace.org/~toxics/html/content/pvc1.html

I'm afraid transporting bamboo from Japan (or wherever ...) also needs
lots of PVC, indirectly ... maybe the real ecological problem with
learning to play the instrument is the long travalling distance to see
your teacher ... in my case it means burning 60-70 liters of gasoline
every time.

Concerning the construction of a PVC flute, I wonder what effect the
constant diameter of a PVC tube has, compared to the conical shape of
the bamboo. A PVC flute I once constructed I found out was much easyer
to play after reducing the diameter of the bottom hole ...

Greetings,
joerg