Re: Hôgaku journal on US MSIE 6

From: Joerg Bernsdorf (bernsdorf@ccrl-nece.de)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 01:49:08 PDT

Hello,

Karl Signell wrote:
> Does anyone know how to correctly render H=F4gaku Journal in MS Interne=
t=20
> Explorer 6, US version? My browser shows only little empty squares=20
> instead of Japanese when set to view Japanese (Auto-Select) encoding.

Maybe "Auto-Select" does not work correctly with this page und you have=20
to explicitely try out the different possibilities (EUC-JP, Shift_JIS,=20
ISO-2022-JP) ... if you can't view any Japanese page with your browser,=20
you first have to download the necessary fonts (I guess you already did..=
.).

Dcammaro@aol.com wrote:
> I use altavista's babelfish. It translates entire websites from
> Japanese to English.
> http://babel.altavista.com/translate.dyn

Another two translation tools are (but I guess that was not your initial=20
problem, though...):

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/text/

... gives a rough idea of what the Japanese could have meant. Sometimes.

http://www.rikai.com/perl/Home.pl

... saves my life when reading Japanese mails or websites. It is a very=20
good kanji lookup tool: You either enter the URL or c&p the text, and=20
what you get is a translation for all the kanji when you move your mouse=20
pointer on it.

Hope that helps,
joerg