Tuning a 1.8

From: supakit bhuphaibool (icarus927@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 13:32:05 PDT

Hi all,

I inherited an older shakuhachi that's a bit out of tune - OK, more than a
bit.

I'm going to try to tune it. My question to the list is, what's a good
material to use - ji? (tonoko & sejime lacquer?). Do I have to sand or dull
down the finish interior lacquer coating to get the ji to stick?

I've looked for epoxy paint in hardware stores but all they have are either
in a spray can or the industrial stuff for boats - surely this is not what
people use (or is it?).

I also need to make the 3rd hole smaller - what's a good fill material -
will wood putty work?

Lastly, does anyone know if applying another finish coat of lacquer (once
this is all done, 20 years from now) affect the tuning? (I'm assuming that a
uniform coat should not affect it)

Thanks for your help,

Duke.