Re: Blowing shakuhachi & pain...

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 12:22:21 PDT

My Sensei has taught me one very important fact "With pain no there is gain".
Tension really can screw things up. During each lesson we discuss ways to
reduce it.

1) Hand cramps.-- Actively focus on relaxing your hand while playing long
notes. What is probably happening is that the upper hand (holes 3&4)is pressing
down on your lower one. Also stretch out your hand before you practice. Hand
exercises will work. Also drop your right arm as if it is just hanging against
your side.

2) Dizziness is caused by hyperventilation- You are breathing deeply and
supplying huge amounts of air to your brain. This is common when playing long
notes not while playing music. Dizziness while playing music is probably due to
improper breathing. Not Taking enough or too much. This you have to pay
attention to breath marks should be in the notation if not make your own

3) The tooth pain - is probably because you are pushing the shakuhachi into
your teeth and not the tightness of the embrochure. Again tension

There are different ways to get high pitches you can raise your head or lower
the flute. The other possibility is your flute may be hard to play in the Kan
range. Try someone else's flute and see if you have the same difficulty.

Keep in mind it is quality of practice NOT quantity.

Best of luck
Dominic Cammarota
A Tozan player in the Bronx