RE: E-Learning Kan Octave Technique link

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 01:57:28 PDT

Isaac, Ronnie, Derek and all

I found Todd Bartons Kan Octave movie very helpful as a reference point
as I learn this technique sans physical teacher at the moment. In
e-learning terminology it's known as a (digital media)
learning/knowledge object, which can either act stand alone or be
integrated into more comprehensive lesson(s) as needed (though
technically it needs to be wrapped in metadata to really implement
this). In this case I use it standalone along with a bunch of excellent
paper based material I got at the ASS festival, as well as the odd play
with the cool free S8tuner from
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html
That said, the time for live teaching for me is looming as I get my
basic technique under control.

The following snippet is from the current email discussion list of
"International Forum of Educational Technology & Society"
http://ifets.ieee.org/ and seems relevant to the previous points
mentioned by all as it sums up the broadband teaching issues quite
nicely. It's from an ongoing discussion on the use of radio for distance
learning in NZ (hope she does'nt mind me quoting but it saves me saying
the same thing in different words:-)

"Given that there are some learning experiences that can be enhanced by
Audio or video presentation, the decision about which mechanism one uses
to deliver that audio or video will understandably be strongly
influenced by pragmatic considerations like who has access to that
technology, how much It costs to implement, and what perceived value it
has for the target audience." Mary Hall Education Project Manager

The other issue, as Ronnie mentions, is "technologically challenged"
teachers/students, but I see this as being less of an issue as
Windows/Mac are finally becoming pretty much plug and play for this sort
of thing now.

The interactive e-learning broadband model works, as evidenced by
Japanese usage, but there are a helluva lot more guitar/piano students
than shakuhachi so I don't know if it's financially viable to do it at
the moment.

The cheapest way to do it currently would be to just use short focused
video chat sessions to learn specific techniques or resolve problems
which you can then go away and practise offline. Adapt the lesson format
to the constraints of the costs/medium/user. E-learning is just another
tool in the learning set, not a replacment (though the marketing spin
doctors would have you believe otherwise!).

?