Re: video teaching/the pain of playing

From: Philip Gelb (phil@philipgelb.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 14:07:27 PDT

Are we there technologically to be offering lessons live on the internet?
Composer, Pauline Oliveros is very much involved in setting this kind
of thing up between RPI in Troy, New York and Mills College in
Oakland, California. Her goal is to teach at Mills while at RPI (or
anywhere in the world). But those are 2 very high tech music schools
with some of the most reknowned music technicians on the planet. And
still it seems to have some bugs.
For a shakuhachi teacher to be in a room in a home and then have
students around the world in their homes having live lessons, i think
we are still a little ways off from this being practical.
This will be an excellent alternative for those who live far from a
teacher in the not too distant future.
Or am i way behind in the current technology? I have not spoken to
Pauline about this project since December so it is possible that it
is far more advanced than i am aware of.

Isaac's idea of a virtual shakuhachi classroom with a few teachers
from around the world is a very interesting idea that i hope comes to
fruition.

phil

--
xoxo