Re: Corrections, additions

From: Sandra and Alcvin Ramos (ramos@telus.net)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 03:19:07 PDT

Hello again!

There were some corrections I'd like to make and other special moments
that I'd like to express in the entries: Actually Karl Signell meant to
demonstrate how easy it was to play the "Turkish" Ney Flute, not how
difficult it was! (In fact, most everyone got a note in about 5 minutes.
That's better than many people who have tried shakuahchi for the first
time! As Karl said, "It seems more difficult because we've forgotten our
first attempts at making a sound on the shakuhachi". I think Karl is
just a good teacher;-); Going through some finer points of Rokudan no
Shirabe at David Wheeler's beautiful home in Boulder; Finally meeting
the persons behind the emails at the Camp such as David Sawyer, Ed
Beatty and his dog, Buzz (what a sweet dog!), Tim Cassler, Karl Signell,
Jay Keister...was so great. Blowing RO BUKI with everyone in the
mornings; Being served Chinese tea from Glenn Swann, receiving herbal
remedies for my cold from Elliott Kallen; blowing hocchiku with Aura
Newlin, Meeting my shakuhachi brothers from Japan again, Shimizu-san,
Nishijima-san; Kurita-san also makes really awesome (and inexpensive)
burgundy-colored plastic shakuhachi which many people bought at the
Camp. Spending time with Yoko Hiraoka and David Sawyer was
wonderful. Not only is Yoko a master koto and shamisen player, she is
also well-versed in the Chikuzen style of biwa playing! If anyone wants
to study biwa (and of course koto and shamisen, please contact her! She
offers workshops and is open to travelling.) ......

Alcvin