Re: Hiki and meri

From: Philip Gelb (phil@philipgelb.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 10:12:39 PDT

>But out here in centrally isolated Ithaca, New York, there are no
>teachers, except books and videos, so I have to work these problems
>out on my own.

You are not that far from NYC. Do you go down there at all? I believe
Ronnie Seldin teaches in Syracuse once a month which is not that far
from Ithaca.

Shakuhachi is an incredibly difficult instrument to learn. It is even
more difficult if you do not have a teacher. Most people in the US
live hundreds of not thousands of miles from teachers. NYC, LA, San
Francisco and Vancouver are the places where most of the teachers
seem to be based (I am in the San Francisco area) in the US.

Books and videos and the net are better than nothing, for sure. But a
teacher will help you learn much faster. Even if you get down to the
city only once every 2 months or so, it will help you greatly.

How long have you been playing? Where did you get your flute?

good luck!

phil

--
xoxo